-Industry: To transform economy from resource-based to value addition
-Trade: a vibrant commerce in Baringo County and beyond
-Tourism: To make Baringo County a tourist destination of choice locally and internationally
-Enterprise Development: To revive dormant and poorly- run cooperative societies through proper supervision and institutionalization of corporate governance.
Functions of the ministry
- Industrial Development
- Promotion, conservation and development of tourist sites
- Liaison with national government on promotion development of enterprise
- Promotion and development of ICT infrastructure e.g. outsourcing
- Development of Industrial parks
- Liaison with development and financing agencies e.g. KIE, ICDC, IDB, KTDC, SEZ, EPC, KENINVEST, KIRDI etc.
- Creation of Special Economic Zones
- Promotion of vibrant co-operative movements etc.
- The Ministry intends to venture into new tourism areas of attract such as Bird watching at lakes Bogoria, Baringo, Kamnarok and Sirwa Hills.
- Other natural attractions: viewpoints, caves, furrows, dams, hanging valleys and gorges, trees, wild flowers, animals, mammals’ reptiles, insects, fossils
- It also plans to market locally and internationally the new sensation that is Silale Caldera in Tiaty Constituency
- There are plans to develop at least 3 conservancies during the FY 2013/2014, 2 in Tiaty and 1 in North Baringo
- The Ministry has undertaken to plan Lake Baringo to a world class status with beautiful public beaches and with proper management
Main Tourist Attraction, National Parks and Reserves
The bubbling waters, steamy hot springs, gushing geysers and ostriches are among the major attractions in Lake Bogoria and Kapedo hotsprings.
Baringo County boasts of high class tourist resort centers, among them Lake Bogoria Spa Resort and Papyrus Inn hotels which are able to accommodate high end visitors. Besides this, Endorois cultural dancers in the nearby cultural village entertain tourists visiting the national reserve after paying a small fee for the group.
There are also isolated forests on top of Tugen hills, Laikipia escarpment and Eldama Ravine which make the county beautiful and a place to visit regularly. Examples are Ol’Arabel, Tenges, Kipngochoch, Kabarnet, Katimok and Saimo forests.
Apart from being good catchment areas for birds, wildlife, picnics and eco-tourism, forests encourage soil conservation through terracing, vegetable growing, beekeeping and practice better relations between livestock and environment. Lomechang caves are also of great importance.
Lake Baringo has 13 islands and other breathtaking views that provide magnificent scenery of the lake. The largest island is called Olkokwe, which means in Ilchamus a meeting place. The other island is Samatian that is small but with breathtaking views across the bronze waters of the lake.
Other interesting tourist locations in the lake are Soi Safari Lodge, Lake Baringo Club as well as Reptile Park, which is one of the largest reptile parks in the Rift Valley, and Ruko wildlife conservancy with a lot of interesting and lovely attractions ranging from wildlife to cultural villages.
One also finds the Korosoi volcano which rises 1,449m above sea level. Visitors find them ideal for watching birds such as bat hawks and majestic verreauxs eagle.
Kabarnet National Museum and Kipsaraman Community Museum are located on top of Tugen Hills. The two museums form unique tourist sites with varied attractions and house traditional Kalenjin artifacts which include musical instruments, storage equipments, furniture and ornamental decorations.
At Eldama Ravine, there are the Kursalal falls, a stunning waterfall within Lembus forests.
Baringo County has Lake Bogoria National Game Reserve which is 107 square kilometres .The acacia woodlands in the national game reserve is the home to many wild animals, among them rare kudus, antelopes, zebras, leopards, cheetahs, hyenas, mongoose, monkeys, baboons and jackals.
There are more than two millions lesser flamingoes, 350 bird species and more than two million lesser flamingoes roaming in the national park especially along the shores of the lake Bogoria.
Lake Baringo has 450 bird species such as Pale and dark phase Gabar Goshawk, Paradise Flycatcher, African Fish Eagles, Marabou Stocks, Shikra and White- faced scops owl, Hemphrick”s Hornbill (along the cliffs),the African darter and occasionally the African Skimmer. Apart from viewing several birds in the lake, visitors have the opportunity to view crocodiles, hippopotomus, the imposing Laikipia escarpment as well as the dramatic Tugen hills.
Lake Baringo Snake Park has snake species such as the Black Mamba, Puff Adder, Boomslang and Spiting Cobra, Monitor Lizards, Crocodiles, Tortoises, and harmless Stripes bellied sand snakes.
Tourist class hotel / restaurants and bed capacity
Name of the HotelBed Capacity Sportsline Hotel, Kabarnet 28Sinkoro Hotel Ltd, Kabarnet 50Kabarnet Hotel, Kabarnet 50Taidy’s Hotel in Eldama Ravine 64Chambai Hotel in Eldama Ravine; coming up. 150Soi Safari lodge70Lake Bogoria Hotel and Spa Resort. 80
Source: KNBS Baringo County